Tree Hugger Linky Party



Ok, so I am by no means a tree hugger, but it seemed like an appropriate title. Do I recycle? Yes, of course! My family puts 5 recycle bins out each week. It makes me cringe when I find out people don't recycle, so I usually take my recyclables home.  I am such a weirdo!

I thought it would be fun to share projects or things that we have reused in our classrooms.  What sparked this idea is my recent move from 2nd to 1st.  I keep asking myself what books will I read to them?  Will I be able to use my tissue boxes for a 1st grade project?  When I taught 2nd grade I would always read The Boxcar Children to the class.  It is amazing to me how much they love this book!  After I start reading to the them The Boxcar Children books are suddenly as hot as Justin Beiber (in their eyes)!  The librarian can't keep the books on her shelf.  Now that is what this is all about!  The first year I read it to my class I got the bright idea to use empty tissue boxes to make boxcars.  I decided to send the boxes home with a note about what the students were to do along with a list of some possible craft supply ideas.  I encouraged the parents to let the students think outside the box.  I wanted to see what the students were visualizing as I was reading to them. It was so cool to see all of the different designs.  Some used the tissue box and some didn't.  Some were completely done by parents, some were obviously done by the kiddos.  But they were all so proud of what they brought back. This project will be sorely missed. :(








I also used tissue boxes this year to make "Love Monsters".  I blogged about those earlier this year.  We used them as Valentine card holders.  I am so in love with how they turned out and I hope I can incorporate them into my 1st grade classroom.









I would love to hear about the types of things you reuse in your own classroom.  For years I saved formula and cereal cans from my babies.  I just recycled them at the end of this year.  What would you have used them for?  I know I am going to regret my decision after I read your ideas! Please link up with your favorite tree hugger idea.

~Stacey


 

3 comments

  1. So cute!! I have to look through my picture archive to find a few of my "tree hugger" classroom decor ideas :)

    I am your newest follower :)

    Rae
    Mindful Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this linky! I am a new follower too! I hope to participate with a blog post tomorrow.
    Mechele
    Barrow's Hodgepodge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping by! I would love for you both to link up!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top