1. Link back to the blog that nominated me.
2. Answer the questions posted for me by my nominator.
3. Share 11 (Why 11?) random facts about myself.
4. Create 11 questions for my nominees.
5. Nominate 5-11 blogs with fewer than 200 followers.
6. Contact my nominees to let them know that I nominated them.
So I did #1 above by mentioning the lovely Charlotte.
Here is #2
11 Questions from Charlotte
1. What are three teacher websites you think are under utilized but couldn't imagine not having?
I honestly don't think enough teachers know and use Teachers Pay Teachers. When you purchase from this group you know that you are getting teacher and student approved activities. What could be better?? I also use the heck out of Scholastic. Sounds simple right? I recently started doing Daily 5 and needed listening center materials. Scholastic came through. I signed up for Storia and used bonus points to get a ton of books with CD's. My kiddos LOVE it, especially Pete the Cat! I find myself rockin' out during my small groups to "I Love My White Shoes"! Admit it... you have done it too! I also really love Spelling City. It is a great website to review spelling words. You can insert your own list and the students can practice away with fun games such as Hangman.
2. How are you spending YOUR summer?
I have been really trying to hit the blogging and TPT world hard, but I am a mom of a 4 year old and 1 year old, so I have been trying to enjoy this time with them as much as possible. They have summer birthdays, so there has been a lot of planning and cleaning. We also went on one trip so far to visit some friends in NY near Ithaca. It was so relaxing!
3. Why did you start blogging?
I wanted to get involved with TPT to help ends meet because my 4 year old has Cerebral Palsy and my coworker told me I had to get a blog going first. I am so happy I did because it is so fun to share ideas, but to also have documentation of where I have been and what I have done. I have also "met" some really great teachers in the whole process!
4. How do you overcome or manage pencil issues in your classroom?
I don't know! I hate pencil issues! One year I tried collecting all of the students pencils on the first day and doing the two buckets. One for sharpened and one for needs sharpening, but it DID NOT WORK! I always had that kid who would practically eat their pencil and needed a million new ones. So sorry, but I do not have a good answer for you!
5. What is your favorite movie?
I don't think I have seen a movie that isn't somehow Disney or Pixar related in a LONG time! Maybe my all time favorite is Wizard of Oz. I remember every year my mom and I would lay on the couch together and watch it when it came on TV. It definitely brings back great memories! I have tried to continue that with my son, but he is not into that movie yet. :(
6. What routine or procedure will you change for the upcoming school year? Why?
I am switching from 2nd to 1st this year, so I don't think I am to that point yet. I am really happy with my routines and procedures. So only time will tell!
7. What would you be doing if you weren't an educator?
About 5 years ago my husband and I began the "it's time to grow up and find a house" search. We fell in LOVE with old houses and the idea of remodeling them. Then we decided we were going to build a neighborhood like they had in the old days. One with a sense of community and nostalgia. One where you could go to the neighbor's house and borrow a cup of sugar and then they would invite you in and you would chat for hours over
8. Where do you like to shop for your teacher materials?
TARGET! I love their back to school section and Dollar Spot. They always have great deals. TPT is also a huge one for me. There are so many great sellers out there who offer great items, many of them FREEBIES!
9. Who are the special people in your life?
Without a doubt my family! I couldn't imagine life without my husband Rick, and my children Gavin and Norah. They are what make my world go round!
10. Who was your favorite K-12 teacher? What impression did they leave on you?
I remember my 2nd grade teacher the most, Mrs. Peggy Sue Buffington (no joke that was her name). She actually was part of a huge life lesson for me and the reason I spent the last 5 years teaching 2nd grade. So long story short when I was in 2nd grade we had a sub one day. Some friends and I got the bright idea to take some of our teachers extra worksheets without asking. So little by little we began taking them and putting them in our backpacks. When I got home, my friend and I immediately began playing school with the door shut. Nothing good happens behind a shut door! My mom came in and caught us. The next day my mom and dad marched me into her classroom and made me return the items and tell my teacher what I had done. I was MORTIFIED! Needless to say I NEVER did that again. Maybe that was a good indication that I would be a teacher someday. Little side note... why can't more parents be more like mine. How many parents these days would do what they did!
11. What was your favorite show growing up?
Probably Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. He had great life lessons and took the kids to many cool places that they probably wouldn't have seen otherwise.
#3 11 Random Facts about Myself (Gosh there are so many to pick from!)
1. I sleep on the left side of the bed. I think this started because it is closest to the bathroom and I was pregnant when we moved into our new house.
2. I have ready all of the Harry Potter books SEVERAL times.
3. My middle name is Nicole' and I have an apostrophe after the "e". My parents say there was a store in the mall called Nicole's and my dad liked the apostrophe. It has just caused frustration, but it is still kind of fun.
4. I met my husband in a bar (he is a musician and was the entertainment for the evening)! He likes to say he pulled a viking move because I had a boyfriend at the time. Whatever you want to call it I am so happy we decided to go there that night.
5. I am a bit OCD and have to count 3 steps on the escalator before I get on and I will NOT touch the railing. YUCK!
6. I like to go to the dentist. There is nothing better than a deep cleaned grill. LOL!
7. I love to eat ice cream with crushed up Oreos and a dash of milk. Then I stir it up and make it creamy.
8. I love to bake and decorate cakes. We found out my son has a peanut allergy a few years ago and we learned bakery products were usually not the safest. So I began making his birthday cakes and I am starting to get pretty good at it!
9. I ran track and was a cheerleader in high school.
10. I am a HUGE procrastinator. I will go out of my way to do something else before I do what I need to get done.
11. My husband and I are in the process of starting a Non-Profit organization to benefit children and families who are dealing with Cerebral Palsy. We think we are going to call it the Alexander Gray Foundation.
Questions to My Nominees
1. Why did you choose to go into teaching?
2. What are your 3 favorite books to read to your class?
3. What do you do in your free time?
4. Who is your biggest inspiration? Why?
5. If you were stuck on a desert island, what is the one thing you would have to have (not including the essential things to survive)? Why?
6. What is your biggest pet peeve in the classroom?
7. Why did you join the bloggy world?
8. What are you most proud of?
9. Where would you go on your dream vacation?
10. What toy do you miss from your childhood?
11. What is your favorite song?
1. Georgia Grown Kiddos
2. The Wright Stuff
3. Teachin' H.A.
4. Cindy Sweeney's Class
5. Primary Teacherhood
This has been so fun looking for bloggers to nominate. Thanks again to Charlotte for the nomination! I hope everyone is having a wonderful summer!